Friday, August 15, 2008

On Best Man speeches: classy before funny

I was best man in a wedding on August 2nd.  My buddy Tim and I had a blast at the wedding, and I was proud to be there for my friend Ray French, another Rockford native who moved north in high school. Ray and I are very close, and I was thrilled to be in the wedding.

They were married on the lake, and I was happy to partake in a few unforgettable moments. I was especially proud of the comment made by the bride's grandpa when I pulled the rings out of my pocket. The bridesmaids burst out laughing when I did that, and later told me that when I reached into my coat gramps exclaimed "Damn! that's a great best man!"

I learned something about speeches, too. Always be classy. Ray and Sarah are classy people, and I'm not knocking them, but even if the bride and groom are buck-toothed and slightly intoxicated, it doesn't mean the best man or the maid of honor shouldn't be respectful and tasteful. Everyone appreciates that, and that's what people remember. Don't be that guy everyone wants to forget.

To give a good best man speech(this one was my first, so I'm being quite presumptive), remember:
1. be classy
2. make it short(under 3 minutes)
3. you want to make the college buddies laugh, but don't make grandma blush
4. hit the highs and lows: say something personal and touching about your relationship with them, and maybe tie that in with the marital relationship. But make sure to lighten the mood with a joke. No off-color jokes.
5. Make 'em laugh early.

If you want to know about bachelor parties, email me ;)

Congrats to Ray and Sarah, it was a beautiful wedding!

No comments: