Thursday, December 18, 2008

Damn London Fog: Flight Delayed from Heathrow, but home at last

All,

I'm typing this in front of the family Christmas tree in my living room after a vicious 72-hour long hall from Lviv, Ukraine to Rockford, Illinois. I took the overnight bus on the night of the 15th at about 9:30 pm, Ukie time and arrived in Warsaw, Poland early the next morning. My flight to London was scheduled at 12:30, but because of heavy fog in the London area, they held the flight for 2 hours. We didn't take off from Warsaw till almost 3:00 pm, and despite the great time that we made, I missed my 4:25 flight to Chicago. I still had 15 minutes left, but they wouldn't let me on.
Me and 5,000 other people. Literally. That's the figure the officials gave me when I asked. I was given a hotel and and meals for the night and a flight out the next morning at 11:30 am. I arrived in Chicago at 3:00 pm today and my mother picked me up. I had a Jamba Juice Immunity Booster and a Chipotle Burrito at Woodfield, mmm, mmm. 
All is well with the world, but I am exhausted and perhaps a little under the weather. Love you all, it's great to be back!
Mike