Tuesday, February 10, 2009

FOUND: family in Poland HAPPY BIRTHDAY: To my sister, Carrie


This from my mother about their recent visit to Arizona to see friends and my great aunt and uncle, Janina and Julian, respectively: 
Mike-
Janina in AZ is a big fan of your blog- pretty faithful reader and enjoys reading your updates. Here is some info from Julian and Janina:

Grandpa's hometown was Zagorz which is northeast of Krakow, and south of Kielce, and south of Pinczow where Janina's family is from. Matgorzata Cedro is a niece of hers(so related to Grandpa) in Pinczow (phone #). Anna and Beata Korecko are other cousins living in Opole (phone #). These cousins have come to visit almost every year- have even bought cars in the US and shipped back to Poland- Janina plans to return to Poland when she is alone.
The cousins in Opole speak fairly good English- she says some of her relatives teach English in Poland, but she said they are not very fluent- she figures she can make a living tutoring over there.

This is the area of Poland in question via Google Maps.
I need to confirm Zagorz is the city we are talking about(Janina, I hope you are reading this!). It fits the name, but does not fit with her description of northeast of Krakow. 
Here's the irony of it all: I studied in Krakow in the summer of 2005, I now live in Lviv(where my grandmother is from and just a few hours from the area in question), have friends in Katowice(where my grandfather studied), I have hiked in Zakopane(south of Krakow and similar in terrain to Zagorz) and in Turka, Ukraine(look at the map, just south east of Zagorz and very similar area), and I've been passing through Przemysl to go to Lviv since I arrived in September, 2008. I've been in this area the whole time and this has all been under my nose.
If Zagorz really is the place, then I am just a few hours from the hometown of my grandfather and my family history. I'd type more, but I need a stiff drink.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow...the blogger is back!
Exciting news for you no doubt...please, have the best shot or 5 of whiskey you can find and continue your search. :)

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why I am called "Praise the Lord"..... ...

C Rudz said...

WOO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!