Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Talented Photo Class

Fog in the morning
depth of the street
a road to a church
together
a curve way
Above Credits: Photos 1, 3, 5 by Roman Fihas
Photo 2, 4 by Ira Patronyk

I recently started teaching a Beginning Photojournalism class here at UCU. Apparently, this is the first of its kind in the area, and my class became popular quickly. Everyone I talked to wanted to take it, even people who don't go to my university. Although only one student showed up today(not uncommon in Ukraine), I normally have 8-10 students and there are two friends coming next week.
This week we covered some camera basics and their next assignment, The Decisive Moment. They are fascinated by photography critique, as I was when I first started. Students bring their work on a flash drive, I put it up on a projector with a laptop, and then the one being critiqued has to remain silent while another student critiques the photos. Then the discussion opens to the class, and I finally add my own two cents. Some get more out of it than others, but they all seem to get the idea and some people have really blossomed quickly.
Some of my personal favorites from the first month are above, check out their group on flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/984072@N20/

No comments: