Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Schizophrenic Currency

I posted earlier this month about the erratic behavior of the Hryvnia, Ukraine's currency, and how dire things have gotten here. The currency continues to fluctuate every day. My landlord refused to take the online quote I had found for my apartment payment in Hryvnia, and called a friend to find the selling price. He then asked me to exchange my money to US dollars before the rent was due, because one could never tell what the exchange rate would be the next day.
My canadian friend, Bozena Hrycyna, considered running to the bank last month to exchange all of her money to either Canadian or US dollars. The Hryvnia has been predicted to rise as high as 15 to the US dollar, devaluing the currency to 1/3 of its September 2008 price.

No comments: