Sunday, October 26, 2008

Enjoy these foods, and think of me

My father and grandmother's visit to L'viv ended yesterday when I dropped them off at the airport. They're in Rome right, and although I wish I could be with them, I need to catch up on blogs. Since I've missed the past few days due to their visit, I will be writing multiple posts to make up, keeping true to my blog comments and promise. I'll post the 3-act story on my grandmother's visit in full later this week.
My dad brought some sorely needed goodies for me to play with and/or eat. Although I eat well(the best part of my Ukrainian stay has been the food, which is incredible), I rarely eat meat, have a limited fruit and vegetable diet and usually eat carbohydrates. Every ex-pat and traveler has a list of comfort foods, like my aunt Kate who has been abroad for over 10 years and often charges Nilla Wafers, Pop Tarts and peanut butter for room and board if you visit her house in Switzerland(by the way, sorry AK- I did bring you pop tarts, but I broke down and ate them in Greece after starving for a day. They were crumbly anyway!)
My list includes: Tabasco, pancakes, maple syrup and peanut butter, among other things. My dad also brought Macaroni n' Cheese, energy bars, Clorox Wipes(which you can't get here), hand sanitizer, clean needles and medication. 
Although I do enjoy a good Ukrainian vodka, the honey beer they serve here, chocolate butter, and a good borscht with just the right amount of sour cream mixed in, I will thoroughly enjoy egg nog, apple cider, real orange juice, a cold Fat Tire or Leinie's, peach pie and turkey at Thanksgiving(which I will probably miss). If you are stateside or anywhere in the world where you can kick back with apple cider or a cold beer, make a toast and think of me, I miss it!

1 comment:

Anielka said...

Here's to you, man.