Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A week on 19 cents


I will continue my update on Krakow, but I have a special post. This week, I will continue to survive on exactly 19 cents, US. That's exactly 95 Kopecs, or Ukrainian cents. I haven't any money left and I have to get through the week till my paycheck.
I bought a loaf of bread yesterday,  and walking to work everyday(the bus costs either 10 or 30 cents a ride) has helped. I've been cooking what's left of the pasta in the cupboard and eating toast and tea in the morning. Besides that, I don't have any expenses. 
I'm out of potatoes, and am left with a mutated carrot(similar to the chernobyl pepper), mustard, rice, pasta, olive oil, 1/10 a bottle of wine, 6 lemons, a smidgen of pesto, a dollop of sour cream, and very sorry looking apple that appears to have been leftover from the breakup of the Soviet Union. 
Today, I almost walked to the grocery store and got money out. I thought twice about it, and have decided to stick to my guns. I would pay another exorbitant ATM fee, and my paycheck comes later this week(no one seems to know exactly when, not comforting). Until then, I'm countin' Kopecs. 

No comments: