Tuesday, November 4, 2008

America, Thank God for what you have





Above, top to bottom:John McCain(R-AZ) speaks to supporters at a fundraising event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 17th; Sen. Barack Obama(D-IL) speaks at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin's Annual Gala at the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 16th; John McCain(R-AZ) waves to supporters as his wife Cindy and students from Marquette College Republicans cheer during a rally at the Sheraton Hotel in Waukesha, Wisconsin on February 19; Hillary Rodham Clinton(D-NY) greets supporters at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin's Annual Gala at the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 16th;  Sen. Barack Obama(D-IL) answers questions from reporters before a rally at the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 15th. 

Have Americans pondered just how long this grueling election has gone on? Since February of 2007. That's almost two years, two years, that Obama has been campaigning, and McCain doesn't fall far behind. Quite frankly, I can't stand it anymore! Enough I said! I'm going to Ukraine where I can escape from all that!
And I came to Ukraine looking with interest at the escalating political drama between the president and the prime minister, the apathetic masses, the dissatisfaction and the corruption. I came to my classes within 2 weeks of school and asked "What's your opinion on politics in Ukraine?" Thrilled to finally be interested in politics that were distinctly not American. And now what do my students ask me?
"What do you think of Obama?"
"Who are you voting for?" 
"Who do Americans want to win?"
I suppose I'll never get away from it all.
Overwhelmingly, Ukrainians support Obama over Ukraine. Of those students I polled, at least 60% that voted chose Obama over McCain. Many of them were unaware(I educated them) of the current political situation in America, what the issues are and who's running. Ironically, many of them are willing to get behind a candidate with absolutely no knowledge of what he/she stands for in the election.
But they are far more optimistic about America than they are about their own country. Many Ukrainians don't get pumped up, flustered, or even angry when I ask about politics. They just sigh and shrug, roll their eyes and say "we don't care. What's the point? Nothing ever changes and everyone is corrupt." Which is true.
America, thank God that you have what you do. Just a month ago, Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko called snap parliamentary elections in defiance of his Prime Minister, Yulia Tymoshenko. The elections are actually illegal and defy the constitution of this country. Although the move has been labeled as a maneuver to undermine the Prime Minister, she has done no better by challenging the national elections in a city court, also illegal. Ukrainians, at best, are not surprised and don't care. People go on with their lives as if it was any other day. 
There was just an article in the business journal here about how Ukraine is ready for adversity and hardship, for a lack of trustworthy government and economically trying times. That's what Ukraine has specialized in for the past 600 years! This country has been used and abused in so many ways, it's no surprise that the president and new, democratic, pro-western government are doing it again now.
In Russia, Putin called up the head of the United Russia party and announced he was going to be their new leader, effectively making him the new Prime Minister(the post he currently holds). The ex-KGB agent wasn't even a member of that party until he decided they needed a new leader. Imagine if Bush called Howard Dean this evening and announced he was replacing him! America would tear itself apart, riots would happen in the streets, the press would have a field day and there would be anarchy. In Russia, no one bats an eye.
Be thankful, my fellow Americans. You are truly blessed. 

3 comments:

Tim Malone said...

Mike,

You are right that we need to thank God for what we have, but we also have an intolerance for corruption and the realities of life. My Russian friend here in Kent has taught me much about the possibility of enduring some of these hardships of living in a corrupt country. One must adapt to living with conditions such as these, and it can ultimately make it easier for one to make it through life. Yes, things should be a certain way, and we should work toward that, but at what point do you sit back and say, OK enough for now, let me enjoy the current situation as best I can.

There is something there that separates us as Americans from the rest of the world. I believe it is some measure of a practical approach to life, whereas ours is very idealistic. Idealism is not bad, but when it leads us to reject others because they are corrupt, or do not fit our mold, then we know that we have taken our views to far. For we are called to love all as Jesus would love us.

I am overjoyed that you are getting to have all these phenomenal experiences abroad, and look forward to discussing more in Spain.

Cheers bro,
Tim

Anielka said...

Tim, you've got a point, but I don't think Mike was saying what you're saying. I don't think Mike was wanting us to reject the Ukrainians or anyone else whose gov'ts are/have been corrupt.
But at the same time, I totally see your point. I had a similar discussion with my first graders yesterday, actually, when they were getting all hyped up about who they wanted to be president and were saying mean things about the other candidate. It's not quite the same concept, but it can fit, in that I told that that just because you don't agree with what someone believes or like what they think doesn't mean that they weren't made by God and deserve respect just like everyone else does. Maybe that fits what you said a little in that you said everyone is made by God and deserves respect as such? I don't know.
I think you're both on two separate pages. At least, that's how I'm perceiving it.

C Rudz said...

I know we don't like Hilary... but that's easily my favorite of the ones you posted.