Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Backyard




A huge slap sound sends me jolting out of bed, and I realize it's the sound of my phone crashing into the floor. The obnoxious rhythm of the 'everlasting' ringtone style thumps at me mockingly from my bedside, and for a moment, I consider just leaving the phone on the floor and rolling over. But mind and hand are too distanced by lack of sleep, and I find the phone at my ear before my brain can protest.
"You up?" It's Irene, my American neighbor from upstairs.
"Yeah yeah yeah, been up for hours," I say, smacking my face. 
"You wanna go for a run? I'm going to show you the park," chatters Irene in her upbeat Seattle accent.
Jeans, sweatshirt, fleece jacket, hikers and skullcap come barreling out the door with me and my Nikon D300. We go soaring up a hill as Irene explains the gothic building to our right was the meeting place of the Ukrainian militia, named after Hutzel tribe leaders. Her father was one of them. 
I shake off flashbacks of our old apartment that was firmly entrenched in the Soviet nightmare we called Hasheka Street. Marveling at the woods around me, I realize I've swapped concrete buildings and rotting sidewalks for towering pines and oaks, a forest floor covered in brilliant shades of fall, and the tallest hill in Lviv which is literally right behind my apartment.
"Wysoki Zamok is that way," says Irene, pointing off to the left, "and Shenchivski High is over to the right." 
Wysoki Zamok(High Castle) is a huge lookout point and has the best view in Lviv. Just 15 minutes away is Shenchivski High, a tourist park filled with Ukrainian cultural houses, animal pettings zoos and another gorgeous forest. Did I mention the main square is just 5 minutes walk from my door? 
We reach the top of a hill in the thick fog, a sort of look-out point for us. 
"This is what I wanted to show you," says Irene. "This is our backyard."

1 comment:

C Rudz said...

Sorry to post all in a row on your blogs- but I read this the other day when you posted it and it's just really well written and the photos fit it perfectly.