Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bye bye, neighborhood







Above, from top to bottom: 1)this building is right next to the prison in the old neighborhood. I've seen guards with AK-47s hanging around in towers there, and there is always black smoke rising from its innards. I've heard it's horrific. I would love to visit and photograph. 2) Right down the block from me is this produkty(shop) in the lower left-hand corner of this image. In the fog, these buildings are beyond imposing, they become oppressive. 3) Some men dangle from wires as they put up styrofoam as insulation on a building near the prison. They turned away when I pulled out my camera, as most Ukrainians do. I took their pictures just to piss them off. 4)A woman walks to the bus station in the fog near the road outside the neighborhood. In order to reach my workplace at 8:30 for class, I have to leave at 7:45 to avoid rush hour. If I don't get on a bus by 8 am, I might as well walk and be 15 minutes late. Traffic's so bad you could wait an hour in it.
Brett and I have officially moved out of the old neighborhood and into the new one. I will post photos of my new, splendid accomodations soon enough, but till then, revel in the images of a soviet-envisioned, communist-version of Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood.

1 comment:

C Rudz said...

These are awesome - the first and second are my favorites -- they both just convey so much color (or lack of color) and emotion.