Thursday, September 18, 2008

Move byc, get out the way

Something random: a film picture I took in night bazaar in Marrakesh, Morrocco over a year ago.

Lately, I've been taking Polish lessons from two friends; polish psychologist/dancer sisters that Brett has tutored before. They're twins. After struggling through my Polish and them getting frustrated with their English, we struck a deal to teach each other. I meet with each of them once a week. I'm realizing just how bad my Polish vocabulary is, but how much I remember from writing and pronunciation. 
Brett and I have decided to spend at least two days a week speaking either all Ukrainian/Polish or all Italian in the apartment. We tried it after my Polish lesson last night, and I had a terrible headache afterwards. After living in Italy, I'm convinced immerssion is the only way.
Here is your Polish lesson:
Byc'(B-itch)= to be, which conjugates to
Jestem(yest-em)= I am
Jestem Amerykanski= I'm an American(simpler than 'USA stany zjednoczone' which means USA)
Dzien Dobry(gen doh-brih)= Good day
Dzienkuje(gen-koo-yay)= thank you

Probably enough for now. Next time, Ukrainian.

No comments: