Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Univ Monastery









Visited Univ Monastery with Brett and an Orthodox Bishop he was showing around. Wonderful place, the monastery is run by Greek Catholic monks, a church that is in communion with Rome but keeps Orthodox roots. From bottom to top:  a cattle farmer with gold teeth who was walking around the Monastery grounds, the priest who gave us the tour and invited us to return, and this amazing polish monk. He's 92, was born in Poland and married young, fought in WWII, and lived not too far away until his wife died in 1999. He has since donated all of his possessions to the monastery and joined the monks. I'm disappointed in this portrait, there was a much better picture here, but I had about 30 seconds to take a few frames. I've since vowed to return. I was humbled when he kissed my hand, an honor only reserved for priests and bishops, and hobbled away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh...that is...truly beautiful.