Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So, what exactly am I doing in Ukraine?

A friend recently popped the question over skype(thanks, pooja) and perhaps I haven't told everyone why I went to Ukraine of all places. I am here to teach English, and I could have done that anywhere, but there are specific reasons. I've always wanted to volunteer abroad, and I thought I would do that in Tanzania or Bangladesh or someplace where you need a Malaria shot to go.
However, life has its own plan. I applied and was offered this position earlier this year, I didn't have to take it. I could be in Bangladesh. But who am I to choose where I volunteer? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of volunteering? I had an opportunity and I took it, and I think I'm here for a reason. My other reasons:
1. my best friend is here
2. I have family roots in Ukraine, my grandmother is from this city
3. I wanted to do something faith-related if possible, this is a Catholic university
4. if not now, never. You only live once.

No comments: