Thursday, September 4, 2008

Nice weather, but watch out for the gas prices




Yeah, I know American gas prices seem high, but Ukrainian ones are outrageous! This sign just 10 minutes from my apartment reads roughly 6 Hriven a litre, or about $1.25. There are ~4.5 liters in a gallon, making a gallon of gas in Ukraine about $5.57! And you should see what they drive; the Wikipedia definition of 'Jalopy,' a decrepit, run down, unreliable automobile, includes a picture of a Lada, a Russian car commonly driven in Ukraine.

Beautiful day otherwise, I took a walk through the park. I teach my first class tomorrow(there was a mixup today with the classes, apparently the schedules are pretty volatile the first 2 weeks), I hope to embarrass my students by taking a picture of them at the end of class. Look forward to that post!

No comments: